Carbon offsetting in India: 22.5 MW Wind Power Project in Rajasthan
This project is located in the Indian state of Rajasthan, and managed by Orange DND Wind Power Private Limited. 45 GWh of clean electricity is generated annually here, the equivalent of powering 10,500 households every year. This reduces greenhouse gas emissions by providing clean electricity to the national grid, reducing the need to burn fossil fuels for energy.
About the project
One of the things we look for when choosing a carbon reduction project is evidence that the scheme is providing benefits in addition to reducing greenhouse gases.
As well as eliminating the need for fossil fuels, this project is dedicated to Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives to improve the quality of life for communities in the project’s vicinity. It engages the local communities through frequent consultations and consistently invests in the following areas:
- Enhancing the quality of education
- Supporting the “Clean India” initiative of the Government of India by investing in sanitary infrastructure in schools and community centers
- Augmenting medical and health care facilities
- Potable water supply infrastructure
- Employment generation
- Women empowerment
- Safeguarding environment
It has also conducted an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study in line with the International Finance Corporation guidelines to assess the impact of its project.
This project is certified to the highest level by Gold Standard, as approved by the UN. Read more about Gold Standard’s certification process.
Cost (USD / tonne of CO2e): $10 (read more about how this is calculated)
The impacts and benefits of this project:
- Distribution of essential school equipment to Sr. Higher Secondary School, Rampuriya village benefitting over 150 children.
- Bicycles distributed to 30 school girls helping to improve mobility.
- Construction of two separate toilet blocks for boys and girls in Sr. Higher Secondary School, Rampuriya village, benefitting 450 students.
Access to clean water:
- A bore well along with submersible pump and 1 water storage tank was established at Sr. Secondary School Ambirama, providing a safe source of water for drinking and domestic purposes (cooking, washing and sanitation) for over 850 students and local people.
- A 500-meter water pipe line has been laid down to provide safe and clean water to 100 girls based in a Government run hostel to promote tribal girl’s education in the Pratapgarh district in the tribal region of Rajasthan. The company has also provided 2 water tanks to store water.
- Water tank and purifier system has been installed at the Devgarh Police station and Salamgarh Police station, providing easy access to clean and safe drinking water, benefitting the staff and public at large.
- Tree plantation drives in schools, sub-stations and public places are conducted on a regular basis, to create awareness/sensitivity towards protection of the environment.
- The Company supports 100 children every year suffering from cancer under the project “Adopt a Child (AAC)” of the “CanKids Kidscan” initiative, whose mission is to give a fair chance of survival to children who otherwise would have died for lack of treatment.
- A pre-cancer test and counselling camp was organised in partnership with Akhil Bhartiya Yuva Manch Delhi, District Hospital and Cancer society. The drive benefitted around 350 people.
- Organised a medical camp in Rampuriya village benefitting 450 people:
- Provided both preventive and curative treatment for common diseases and health problems among the community.
- Spread awareness on HIV/AIDS, diabetes, sexually transmitted infections, reproductive tract infections, tuberculosis (TB), cancer and other ailments.
- Spread awareness on personal hygiene in prevention of serious disabling diseases such as eye, dental, and skin disease, which are prevalent in the area due to dust and lack of adequate water.
- The medical camp also encouraged use of available nutritious food products in the area; and discouraged drug/substance abuse among the community.
- Blood tests to check blood count, haemoglobin, and sugar levels.
- Community awareness campaigns have been organised for both World AIDS day and World Cancer Day. Helping to raise awareness through education and advocacy, and to help end any stigma or prejudice attached to these illnesses.
- This project has created permanent jobs for 88 people (including security personnel, supervisors & engineers), out of which 55 employees were hired locally.
Who are Orange Renewable?
Orange Renewable has been recognized jointly by Sustainable Maharashtra, INDIRA, World CSR Day and World Federation of CSR professionals agencies in the “India Sustainability Leadership Summit and Awards” with “Sustainable Carbon Management Practice Award” and “Sustainable Community Leadership Award” in 2017 for remarkable sustainable development.
Orange Renewable CSR outreach spans to more than 50 villages and is impacting close to 30,000 lives of 6000 families in 7 states of India. The group has successfully constructed close to 220 km of roads at various project locations. More than 550 km of transmission lines have been built at its project sites to enable electricity to reach the main grids. More importantly, the group has generated employment for more than 3,000 people in the remote areas in the country around its projects directly or indirectly.
Sustainable Development Goals
One of the requirements of Gold Standard certification is that the projects meet at least 3 of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, of which one is climate action. This means that as well as fighting climate change by offsetting carbon emissions, the projects your money is supporting contribute to sustainable development for ecosystems and communities around the world.
The goals met by this project are:
3. Good health and well-being – Ensuring healthy lives and promoting the well-being for all at all ages is essential to sustainable development
4. Quality education – Obtaining a quality education is the foundation to improving people’s lives and sustainable development
6. Clean water and sanitation – Clean, accessible water for all is an essential part of the world we want to live in
8. Decent work and economic growth – Sustainable economic growth will require societies to create the conditions that allow people to have quality jobs.
13. Climate action
Thanks to the contributions of our members, we are reducing carbon emissions for a more sustainable future.